Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Should Bactrim be taken for UTI or is Cipro and Flagyl needed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Hello, I am a 56 year old married female with good weight 125 lbs. 5'7" and like to be physically active. I have a happy marriage with a very regular sex life with my husband of 30 years. On January 19 2014 I went to a Velocity care center and was diagnosed with a common UTI. I was prescribed 7 days of DS Bactrim, which I took as prescribed. After the course of therapy I had 2 more recurrences of pain etc. and did 2 different short courses of the DS bactrim, so this lead me back to my Doctors office for another urinalysis which showed a presence of white cells, no mention of blood and bacteria as was shown on the 19 of XXXXXXX Now I am on 10 Days of the DS bactrim 2 times daily, I am 6 days into this therapy and still feel the sting. I drink gallons of water, take probiotic, don't drink soda or hardly any alcohol, eat plenty of fruits vegetables , sleep, and exercise. I still have intercourse with my husband at this point I'm discussed! Now I am to continue the DS bactrim til day 10 than take one half pill daily for 40 days. I am wondering it this is the correct med? Do I. Need Cipro. Flagle ? Difulcan? Or a trip to the Gyn or urologist. Wow thanks. S
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that looking into your problem a urine c/s is the most appropriate test to see what organism is leading to it and then to which antibiotic is the organism sensitive . Also A USG abdomen is highly advisable to see if their is any stones or other pathology that is leading to all this . Till then I will suggest you to continue with the treatment your doctor has advised plus diabetes also needs to be ruled out as it can also result in prolonged infection . You need to discuss this with your treating doctor . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor