Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Shingles on hand and back. Had fever blisters and Guillain Barre earlier. Could I take shingles shot after outbreak?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6135 Questions
I have a light cas of shingles ; started on my hand and I only have a couple on my arm and back. I have had fever blisters on & off all my life. I had guillian barre' about 40 yrs ago and cannot take flu shot and was unsure about the shingles shot. Can I still take the shingles shot after my outbreak?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

This vaccine is indicated for individuals who have never had shingles before. It is also contraindicated in persons with a low state of immunity and a shingles outbreak raises the question of how strong the immune status is.

Putting all of this together, you are not eligible to be administered this vaccine.

I hope this addresses your query fully. Please feel free to request for more information. I wish you well.Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor