Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Shin swollen after a hit, pin sized dots on legs and under arms. Is it due to blood leaving the area?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
I was kicked in the XXXXXXX very hard and it swelled up huge. Blood went to foot and the lump is still there I also have small pin sized red dots all over both of my legs,both sides of my body and under the arms. I have itp but can the dots be from my thin blood leaving the XXXXXXX area? How can u make the lump is appear quicker?
I just ordered itp medication off the Internet. What are your thoughts. Also my oncologist dismissed me a year ago but do I need to see him for the spots? I always have some on my shins but not this bad. I know my immune system is down I have been working to many hours the past 2 months and getting very little rest. I have been taking alott of sleep aid over the counter meds to help me go to bed in the daytime.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 hours later

If I am not wrong then you are probably already diagnosed with ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura). If so, then I need to know for how long, and what all medications you have taken so far? If it is not a confirmed diagnosis, then you need urgent investigations to confirm it.

Big bruise after trauma is quite common if you have ITP. We need to know the platelet counts you are having right now. If they are very low, we need to bring that up with drugs. There are many options for ITP, but they should be taken under supervision of a hematologist (and not just ordered off the internet).

The only way to get the lump disappear quickly is to bring the platelets up fast.

Don't take up too much stress, rather visit your hematologist and start the treatment. ITP is an eminently treatable condition.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Shin swollen after a hit, pin sized dots on legs and under arms. Is it due to blood leaving the area? 2 hours later
Yes I have been diagnosed with itp 6 years ago. Do you think removing my spleen will stop all the bleeding under the skin. My hematologist did a bone marrow test and said that that may be needed. What are the worries living without a spleen
My skin is changing in many ways seems as there are many zit like areas that get really inflamed if mashed and clear stuff seems to make a hard cyst like that never goes away. I seem to trap so much heat in my skin. I'm always red..
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Splenectomy (removing the spleen surgically) is certainly one of the treatment options. About 75% of patients undergoing splenectomy achieve a stable platelet count. The hazards are of infection by some bacteria. For these, you have to take vaccinations prior to the surgery.

There is a newer drug, Eltrombopag (REVOLADE) which has been approved for the treatment of ITP and is very effective. You can discuss with your Hematologist regarding the same.

The skin problems are most likely due to the repeated skin hemorrhages, now leading to a chronic change. Some topical steropids may help.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor