Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Sharp, severe pain in right leg. Had miscarriage. Does it require medical attention or is it normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
hello..its about 2 weeks after a miscarriage.(7weeks) and my wife is feeling sharp pains in her right leg. numbness and tingling started first in the thigh. then sharp pains that she described as feeling like the muscle being cut. the tingling lasts most of the day when walking or sitting. then when putting pressure on leg while bending to sit on bed she gets the sharp pain and can barely walk with my help. the sharp pain feels like a 1000 needles stabbing the muscle. is this normal after a miscarriage and how long can it last and do we need to go to the hospital? can we handle with out going to hospital?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for your wife and the pain that she is experiencing.

If she had any spinal anesthesia during miscarriage (D+C) then there is a chance of nerve compression and injury during the procedure which could have caused these symptoms. This is not normal during a miscarriage and can happen as a complication of spinal anesthesia. Other possibilities are vitamin D and nerve conduction velocity test done to rule out any nerve compression or a MRI spine done. She should also get her vitamin D levels and B 12 levels checked and take vitamin D supplements and vitamin B 12 supplements for some days. Non vegetarian food is an excellent source of vitamin B12 and if she is not a vegetarian then should take more of it.

This should decrease with time. But if there is any worsening of symptoms then you need to consult a doctor and get peripheral vascular disease ruled out. A neurological examination from a neurologist may also be needed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor