Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Sharp pain under breast. Taking valacyclovir and aleve for viral infection. Easy way to get cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I am a 70 year old women and have a dull sometimes a sharp pain under my right breast.It started about a month ago after I had not been feeling well.My Dr. gave me a prescription for a viral infection Valacyclovir 500MG to take for a week.I also took Aleve. It certainly helped.
It hurts more when I wear a bra. My eating or exercising has no effect on the pain. In the begining the pain would go under the breast and around to the middle of my back but just under my breast now. I can't get an appointment for a month with my Dr. I was hoping for an answer. Thank You
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.

It seems your doctor gave those medicines for a viral infection known as herpes zoster or shingles. In most of the cases lesions or the rash heals but the pain persists at the site of affliction( known as post herpetic neuralgia)

To treat post herpetic neuralgia or this residual pain multiple options are available like
1) pain killers like paracetamol, ibuprofen, naproxen, tramadol
2) anti epileptics like pregablin or gabapentin
3) antidepressants like amitryptalline or nortryptalline
4) topical therapies like application of camphor, menthol, capsaicin or lidocaine
5) transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
Usually a combination of any of these is given to control pain depending on its severity

Right now as the area of pain sensation has decreased and pain is not severe, taking a painkiller would suffice. If its mild you can take ibuprofen or paracetamol or naproxen. If its moderate try tramadol paracetamol combination. Application of local anaesthetic lidocaine or capsaicin cream would help too.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further doubt, feel free to write to us again.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor