Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Sharp pain in right nipple, 54 year old male. Any ideas ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
I have a sharp pain in my right nipple. It started with pain just to the touch and has now moved to constatnt pain. This started about three weeks ago. I am a 54 year old male.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Unilateral pain in the areola region may be due to inflammation due to an underlying cause. 3 weeks duration is high time enough for you to seek immediate medical examination. Constant pain at that.

Lot of other factors will be examined by your doctor like inspecting the surrounding areas, lymph nodes in the vicinity, lumps, discharge, tenderness amongst many other signs beyond the scope of this advice in here.

I would advice you to get medical attention asap for now. Possible treatment options depend on the diagnosis and are a lot better if attended to on time. Analgesics mostly NSAIDs on prescription along with other necessary prescription drugs may be included in the treatment.

Not to scare you, but your 54 year age consideration, due importance is given to rule out any initial stage malignancy if any. Don't worry as your doctor would be well equipped, I presume to offer you treatment help well in advance of its progression if in case. Hence, timely attention is needed.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor