Sharp pain in ankle. No swelling or numbness. Cause and cure?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a sharp,intermittent pain that eminates from under my right ankle, on the inside. It does not get much past there; it is very localized. It lasts for up to 10 seconds. No swelling, no redness, no numbness or tingling. When it is not flaring, I am slightly aware of it, but it is not painful I had it for the first time last Saturday, several times during the day. Then it was fine until yesterday morning when it woke me up. I had four more episodes; 3 min out, then 10 minutes, then 30 minutes, and then roughly 12 hours later, at 9:45 PM. This morning at 7:00 it happened again, and not since.

It doesn't seem to be affected my motion, but when the pain starts, if I apply pressure, it seems to stop. It does not worsen with walking or standing.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

From description, it seems you might suffering from nerve pain cause may be neuroma or tarsal tunnel syndrome. Both of them require a physical examination to confirm it. Good thing is that both of them are treatable.

Without an opportunity to examine you physically, I am unable to provide the specific treatment. I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.