Sharp pain below rib cage after breathing deeply. What's wrong?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a sharp pain on my right side below my rib cage after I breath in deeply . What could be wrong?

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX
Per your description and with respect to location of the sharp pain, you are presenting biliary colic ( pain of gall bladder origin) which could be due to gallstone or cholecysteitis. You will need to visit a gastroenterologist for would need to physically examine you and run an abdominal ultrasound to confirm suspicion.
It is also possible for you to be having gastritis or retroceccal appendicitis ( very very rare). Another possibility is that, if the pain is not entirely out of your lung fields, then it might pleuritic chest pain due to chest affection ( such as pleurisy, pneumonia, lung tumor etc). A chest x-ray might be needed here.
Just pay a visit to your doctor to determine the cause of your worry.

Hope this helps and write back if you got any other questions
Dr Nsah