Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Severe shoulder pain. X-ray shows muscular problem. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 78 Questions
I am having severe pain in my right shoulder muscle.After gone thru the x XXXXXXX Dr telling its muscle pblm.After taking medicine for 15 days also again the pain is coming.If I lift my Right hand to take anything then sudden pain will come.If i keep my hand down also pain is comng.If i rest my right hand in my head then I have a soothing effect.I went thru Aurvedic treatment also but no remedy.Pl help.Hariharan
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query.

On the onset, I would like to ask you a few questions so that it eases my evaluation and helps in suggesting you better.

1. Do you have any problems with sensation or have feeling of tingling and numbness over your hands?
2. Do you have any pain in the neck region?
3. Have you got your peripheral pulses examined by your family physician?
4. Is there a history of lifting heavy weights or sudden jerky movement of your hands?
5. Do you see any swelling, redness in the area surrounding your shoulder?

As you have explained your symptoms, I gather that you find it extremely difficult and painful to raise your arm from the side of your body. On the contrary, keeping your hands overhead is soothing. This implies a strain to the Supraspinatus muscle. These along with 3 other muscles form the rotator cuff which help in the smooth functioning of the shoulder joint.

Usual treatment for mild rotator cuff injury is,
1. Complete rest
2. Use of ice packs 3-4 times/day on the affected area
3. Use of sling to support the limb
4. Adequate analgesics and muscle relaxants to relieve pain

However the extent of injury / strain can be assessed only by your treating physician or an orthopedics surgeon. If severe, you might need to get a few imaging tests like MRI done to ascertain diagnosis.

If you have followed the above said treatment routine and don't seem to have improved, it would be worthwhile to go see an Orthopedics surgeon.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Do revert if any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor