Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Severe painful boils near buttock,stomach problem

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Hi, I am very desperate in this case and am in need of help. I am extremely embarrassed of this situation. I keep getting extremely painful boils near my buttocks. I get them every 3 months or so almost regularly. I do not know why that is and what I can do to prevent them. I also don't know what type of doctor I need to see for this. I cannot take antibiotics due to stomach problems, and I actually have taken antibiotics for my boils in the past, which did not speed up the healing process. Please help, I am honestly begging for it, I am in so much pain I feel like I am about to faint. This really interferes with me having a normal life and I can't tell anyone about this. Thank you so much for reading.
Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later

The description of your symptoms is possibilly be Chronic Folliculitis. If so, this is a common condition which we see in our practice. You need to take a long term antibiotic course. The choice of antibiotic also depends upon the sensitivity to the organism. You need to get a prescription of good antibiotic like amoxicillin with cloxacillin or azithromycin. These all can be prescribed a dermatologist whom you can consult. They are the right person for any skin problem.

Locally you can use mupirocin ointment or cream 3-4 times a day. In such cases the reason for recurrent attacks is the source of infection in the body. Most probable source of infection is nasal area and anus (since we constantly touch these areas). Therefore its important to apply mupirocin cream over peri-nasal area ,peri-anal area and over tip of fingers. This you should apply daily 3-4 times for may be 6 months. Its also important to keep the area clean and if you have hairs over buttocks then probably a hair removal method should also help you.

In case you still get recurrent attacks of folliculitis, then in such cases we prefer giving rifampicin tablet which again could be prescribed by a dermatologist. This needs to be taken for long time.
Avoid using any moisturizer or any oil if you are using over the area.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries’.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor