Severe pain while swallowing with burping. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello , I figured i would get a second opinion, I have had horrible problem patley the last few months especially when I swallow my food, I burp or jut lay down and regurgitate (not throw up) just food coming up back in my throat causing me to cough constantly. I can feel it get stuck to going down. Sometimes I regurgitate 2 hours after eating . No acid what so ever . Have never had heartburn. Tried protonix but havent been to the doctor for help in a long time due to insurance issues and work. In uour opinion, could you let me know what this could possibly be. I plan to get to a doctor soon. The only known conditions I have is some food allergys and UC. thanks
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and i am pleased to answer your question.
Burping, regurgitation and feeling of something stuck in the throat are symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Though heartburn is the classic symptom of GERD, the symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of GERD though you have never had heartburn.
24 hours pH monitoring test may be done for confirmation.
Continue taking protonix.
In addition to protonix certain lifestyle and dietary changes are also important.

1. Weight reduction if obese
2. Avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food, onion, carbonated beverages
3. Eat smaller but frequent meals
4. Avoid bedtime snacks
5. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
well i thought gerd to ? but when i swallow it gets stuck right begire it goes ino my stomach and i have to drink to push it down . if it piles up to much i regirgitate it is really bothersome and constantly feels like im choking, of course i am going to get a barium swallow .. what are the chances of me choking due to this ?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
The other possibilities include a web and a diverticulum.
Barium swallow would help in the diagnosis.
You may require an upper GI endoscopy.
Choking due to barium swallow is less.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Thank you that divirticulim is what i think it is! It really sounds like it.. is there any treatment for it? I really appreciate your response .. i want this fixed thanks again
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
Hi
If diverticulum is confirmed, then surgery has to be to done for relief.
I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini