Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Severe pain under the rib cage after hysterectomy and lower bowel surgery. Complication chances?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hello, I had a total hysterectomy and some lower bowel surgery last Thurs. 12/29th/ Other than the normal aches and pains on Sunday night I had severe pain up under my right rib cage, then it even woke me up while sleeping. since than the pain is on my left side under my rib cage. It's not getting better, I thought it was gas perhaps but it hasn't moved at all in 2 1/2 days. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

The area under the lower rib cage has the diaphragm which is a muscle separating the chest and abdominal compartments. There are other organs like a portion of the gut and its covering mesentery (peritoneum), the pancreas, liver on the right and stomach and spleen on the left.

The pain arising after intra-abdominal surgeries could most likely be due to the fluid collection or serous inflammation and healing process in the abdominal cavity which might irritate the organs, peritoneum or diaphragm. Such a pain should gradually decrease or subside once the inflammation subsides, say about in a week or so after its onset.

The pain might be localized if there is a local fluid or blood collection or infection. In that case it might persist or worsen and warrants further investigations.

The best way to confirm the diagnosis is to consult the treating surgeon for a thorough clinical examination and if needed an ultrasound abdomen and blood tests like blood counts, bleeding profile, liver profile, etc.

So kindly discuss it with your doctor and do the needful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor