Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Severe pain in the neck and shoulder. Advised for physiotherapy. What way to get cure?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I have severe pain in the neck and shoulder areas. This has been going on for the past 3 months. I have consulted a orthopaedic specialist. He advised me to take phisiotherapy for 3 days. The pain was controlled for few days but it is back now. Please advice.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us.

Pain in neck and shoulder area seems to be due to muscle spasm.
If this is persistent from past 3 months, the cause of spasm might be cervical spondylosis.

I suggest you to ask your orthopaedic for x-ray cervical spine to rule out any arthritic changes.
I advice you-
1)     To continue physiotheraphy (neck muscle stretching and strengthening exercises ).This will help to relieve the spasm and strengthen the muscle around neck and shoulders.
This will reduce the further episode of pain.
2)     Do hot fometation 2-3 times a day and apply muscle relaxant gel after that.
3)     You can take anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.
4)     Avoid heavy weight lifting over back of neck.

Hope this helps you. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Severe pain in the neck and shoulder. Advised for physiotherapy. What way to get cure? 10 hours later
Hi Doc,

Thank you very much for replying. I will surely follow your advice. One more question, can you please suggest me a good orthopaedic in Hyderabad.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I am glad to know that I could address your concern.

I will suggest you Dr Raghava Dutt Mulukutla, good orthopaedic doctor in Hyderabad. Udai clinic orthopaedic center, Nampally.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close the discussion if you do not have further query. I will appreciate your reviews about the service.

Wishing you good health

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor