Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Severe pain in the foot, difficulty in walking. Could it be stress fracture or tendonitis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10458 Questions
I have some sort of foot injury and have a question

My foot started hurting sat and is now to the point where i can barely walk and have bad pain. i have an appt later with the podiatrist. they said it could be stress fracture or severe tendonitis --- how would they treat tedndonitis if it hurts so bd i can hardly move it walk? i already take nsais for ra
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A suddenly developing severe pain in the foot without any history of injury is likely to be due to stress fracture or an inflammation of either a tendon or a joint.
Usually the mainstay of the treatment is rest , immobilization (using a cast or brace) and medicines. Along with pain killers, good swelling. Doing a hot fomentation will help in relieving the pain and inflammation.

Since you are already using nsaids, a better anti inflammatory agent among the NSAIDS needs to be chosen for you for pain relief. Most of the times the pain subsides on adequate rest and proper immobilization.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor