Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Severe pain in the esophageal region with back vomit. Barium test showing spasms in esophagus. What is the reason for this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
I spent the day vomiting black substance yesterday....It is very black!!! Can I take a sample in to ER today because I am still unable to drink anything without sever pain in esophageal region. I went in to Hospital for 3 days last week all they found was a blood clot and installed a filter, could find reason for black vomit last week. I did a Barrium swallow showing spasms in esophagus....What the heck is this black vomit that comes from no-where??? I couldn't eat enough to vomit period...
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

I am sorry I could have seen your query an hour back and given you a prompt answer.

I do suggest to take the vomit sample to the ER. It can be useful for the test to determine the nature of the substance.

The black colored vomit generally represented digested blood. It also indicates moderate to severe bleeding in the gut. When blood is oozing into the gut and mixes with the acids (Hydrochloric acid in the stomach) it gets converted to a substance which is black in color.

Let me know what's the opinion and management done by the ER physician.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Severe pain in the esophageal region with back vomit. Barium test showing spasms in esophagus. What is the reason for this? 48 hours later
Thank You for responding...I was glad it was someone I have faith in already! I did go to ER, since is the second time I have had this issue and due the fact my abililty to swallow has been effected to drastically, I will be scoped by GI this week. I do not understand why multiple systems such as GI, Lungs, Hormones and thermo regulation are all getting effected but I guess one system at a time is the best I can hope for as far as answers....I must say, I have researched the symptoms and time frame involved....Sounds MSA fits perfectly, Doc how do I get diagnosed...Where do I go... I have been impotent, constipated, short of breath with heavy sweating for two years and I am getting worse!!! Now multiple systems are failing at a faster rate, I feel like we are missing something and now with XXXXXXX vein thrombosis internal bleeding......I think I need a diagnosis soon!!! Thanks for your response and if the scope finds the bleeding tomorrow I'll let you know...I am glad you suggested ER, It got some of the ball rolling...

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 16 hours later

Primary care and referring to specialists for early complications is the main work of traditional physicians with XXXXXXX Medicine training. If you can try to search for an experienced XXXXXXX Medicinist ( more than 15 yrs) in a city / metropolis he can be of help to you. My experiences are to consult a doctor who maintains an individual clinic than a hospital. After residency training XXXXXXX medicinist joins a hospital to gain experience before he sets up his practice. So you would find an experienced XXXXXXX Medicinist in a clinic.

An XXXXXXX Medicinist should work closely with other specialists to establish a diagnosis and frame a treatment protocol. That could be the best solution for you.

MSA primarily affects the brain. A Neurologist would certainly be able to diagnose MSA ( multiple system atrophy). Magnetic Resonance Image, Urine catecholamines confirms the diagnosis with other physical examination signs. I would not like to talk about it further.

All in all, practice positive psychology. Feel the pleasurable emotions, seek solace and happiness in whatever actions you perform during the day. Relaxing methods have proven to near you to health.

Though here, I would pray for you.

Wish you Good Health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor