Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Severe pain in front of the ears and jawline. Could this be TMJ or something else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 787 Questions
Hello Doctor XXXXXXX
My grandma is 80 and she suffering from severe pain near ear along the jaw line, few months back she complaint about mild pain in jaw and now it has grown real severe, I would like to know that is she suffering from TMJ or is it something else. How would we cure and what medicine would be best suited so that we can cure pain. Please suggest and give your precious advice.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 1 hour later
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for writing your query.

Pain in front of the ears and jawline can be seen due to several reasons such as:

TMJ problems like dislocation of the joint, fractures ,inflammation in the TMJ area or disocclusion. Altered biting habits may lead to pain in front of ears. This makes mouth opening, biting and swallowing difficult.

Other than this, tooth infection spreading to the surrounding structures may radiate pain to ears and jaws.

Cysts and abscess in relation to jaws or infected teeth may also lead to pain in the jaws.

Parotid gland inflammation and swelling also leads to pain in front of ears.

These are the possible reasons, but exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination. So please visit a dentist and get the evaluation done.

You may need an OPG radiograph done for you, which will help in ruling out the problem. Accordingly treatment can be planned.

Meantime, you can start with analgesics with anti inflammatory drugs to relieve pain.

I hope this helps.

Do write back if you have further doubts.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Severe pain in front of the ears and jawline. Could this be TMJ or something else? 3 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply, Would you please name some analgesics with anti inflammatory drugs to relieve pain. What other test may be necessary.
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 37 hours later
Hello there ,

Analgesics like Tramadol gives good results in relieving orthopedic or bone related pain other than this lornoxicam with paracetamol can be used , but this depends on whether the pain is muscular or orthopedic pain.

My suggestion would be, to consult a doctor before staring any medication . It is necessary to rule out the exact cause of pain and accordingly treatment can be planned.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor