Severe pain in anus due to fissures. On combiflam and isapgold. Any advice?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Iam having severe pain in the anus due to fissures. i have been taking Combiflam & isapgold. The pain persits though of a lower vdegree. your advise please ? tks.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 35 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Are you taking any other medication apart from mentioned drugs?

Anal fissure is due to passage of hard stool through tightly closed anus.
Although you are suffering from hypothyroidism and your thyroid profile is within normal limits, still there are multiple causes of constipation.

With age motility of intestine progressively decreased and transit time from intestine is increased. As s result, stool gets hard.
This process is also aggravated by less water intake and associated medicines such as diuretics, calcium and iron tablets.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ general surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
Combiflam (combination of NSAIDs) is meant for giving pain relief in anal fissure cases.
You should take stool softener which increases gut motility also.
You should take high fibrous diet along with plenty of water.
You should also apply smooth muscle relaxants at anal site.
You should also perform hot sitz bath 3 times in day.
Your blood pressure and thyroid profile is within normal range and you should continue treatment for the concerned disease.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava