Severe pain and swelling in tibia above ankle. Could this be an infection of the bone?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Severe pain in tibia above ankle worsening swollen and warm, xrays normal, white blood cell 4.5 ch50 complement 59. Infected in grown toenail and infection from glass in foot a few weeks back.in a boot but pain is getiing unbearable could this be an infection of the bone
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
From the symptoms you have described, an infection in the area is likely. It can be due to an infection in the bone or a soft tissue infection. This needs a direct examination for proper diagnosis. You will need systemic broad spectrum antibiotics for relief. Till then take mild analgesics and keep your foot elevated to avoid weight bearing on the affected area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.