Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Severe pain affecting walk, leg shakes while climbing. Could this be DDD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 22 Questions
can some one look at my x XXXXXXX of my spine?
Pain is crippling in the morning, walk is shuffled and short stride, R leg shakes when climbing stairs. Is it DDD or is the disc L5S1 just beyond repair? Currently on toradol 50 mg 1 po bid prn, XXXXXXX 350mg 1 po tid. Effexor 1 po qd with no relief. what would be your recommendation?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Joe Antony 58 minutes later
Hello and welcome to healthcare magic. The first impression I get is that in the x-rays there is indeed a reduced disk space at L5 S1. You have had a discectomy so that may explain it. There is also possible evidence of a slight spondylolisthesis at L5 S1. However, I cannot be sure. Hence, I would advise you to do a CT scan or even an MRI scan of the lumbosacral spine. Spondylolisthesis is a more serious condition and needs evaluation by MR or CT scan.
About your medication, please consult a skilled orthopedic surgeon.
Thanks and take care,
Dr Joe Antony, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Severe pain affecting walk, leg shakes while climbing. Could this be DDD? 18 hours later
so my report finally came and here is what is says
mild changes DDD is thorasic spine, vertebral body height wnl, DDD is L5S1 with prominent intervertebral disc space and height loss with mild osteophytes.

what is the standard treatment? I am a nurse. so you don't have to dumb it down
Answered by Dr. Joe Antony 5 hours later
Dear friend.

From what you say in these reports it looks like you have a moderately advanced degenerative disc disease...
The treatment here would consist of physiotherapy exercise and medical treatment including anti inflammatory drugs and also possibly steroids. Calcium supplements may help.

My advice would be to consult a good orthopedic surgeon and also to XXXXXXX a good physiotherapist.
As I am a radiologist I cannot go deeper than this into the treatment of your condition.

Hope this helps and answer your questions
Dr. Joe Antony.MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor