Owl Image

Severe headache and started thick brown vaginal discharge. Any chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I am 3 days late starting my period. This morning I woke up to a severe headache and thick brown vaginal discharge with a tinge of red blood. It has not been a consistent "flow" like my period, just occasionally when I use the bathroom. I had a blood pregnancy test done one week ago and it came back negative, is there still a chance I could be pregnant? I have never taken birth control and my periods have always been regular.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in details including past surgery that you have done.

Possibility of pregnancy depends on timing of ovulation and unprotected sex.Slight spotting or mild bleeding is normal in early pregnancy and it does not cause any harmful effect to on growing embryo or fetus. In your case, brown vaginal discharge mixed with red blood (fresh bleeding) mostly suggests early implantation bleeding or sign of miscarriage.

Early pregnancy test may give negative result on strip test. You need to repeat the pregnancy test again by urine or blood for beta-hcg. If you get positive result now,then a Ultrasonography (USG) for lower abdomen or Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) is needed to confirm intrauterine pregnancy and assess viability of the fetus. TVS is superior in such case.

If miscarriage is detected by ultrasound, then you may need some treatment by means of Micronised Progesterone Tablet or Depot injection combined with Tranexamic acid to prevent miscarriage and support pregnancy. But these treatment protocol is not always 100% effective.

In case of negative pregnancy test, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, stress/anxiety,thyroid problem, psychological upset, over weight or extreme loss., etc are to be considered for most likely causes.

Please consult with your gynecologist and take suggestive measures with proper medication according to your test result.

Do following things to prevent miscarriage:
1) Complete Bed Rest with foot end elevation
2) Take Folic acid supplements & Protein XXXXXXX healthy diet.
3) Avoid long journeys/heavy work/high heel shoes.
4) Avoid stress & maintain personal hygiene.
5) Drink more water and eat leafy vegetables/ fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health. Take care yourself.