Severe headache after IUD insertion. Is it safe to take meftal spas?

Dr. Biswajit Dash

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Got my iui done two days back. Severe headache today, can I take a meftal spas now? Is it safe to take this tablet now? And what will be the early symptoms for successful iui? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 43 minutes later

Well , if you are having severe headache, I will rather suggest you take paracetamol which is the safest analgesic, on as and when required basis. Meftal spas contains antispasmodics which is unnecessary for headache. Only the mefenamic acid part is the analgesic, but I think paracetamol is a better and safe option for you.

Answering the second part of your question, if the IUI culminates in a pregnancy , then the earliest visible symptom is delaying of your cycle dates (amenorhhea).

So please , patiently wait for it and use the progesterone supplement as advised by your doctor. I hope I have answered your query and would be happy to answer any such in future.

Good luck, bye.
DR. BISWAJIT DASH
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later
How can I supplement myself for better implantation? I am currently using the supplements prescribed by my doctor. My last iui failed, just want to be very careful this time. Is taking more rest compulsory?
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 21 hours later

Its my pleasure to answer the follow up query by you.

Generally progesterone supplements in the form of natural micronised progesterone vaginally or dydrogesterone orally are better agents. Extra rest is not compulsory after IUI, and you can carry on with your normal activities.

I can pretty well understand your apprehensions. But, I can tell you that success rates in IUI depend on many factors. Its not in your control that you can contribute much except to follow your doctor's advice. But if you do successive IUI's, the cumulative pregnancy rates increase. Your doctor can take a pause of 2 to 3 months after 3 to 4 cycles, re-evaluate, and proceed for another 2 to 3 cycles of IUI, before changing to any further alternative.

So, all the best and don't be too anxious which may have a negative impact on fertility.

I hope I have answered your query and would be happy to answer any such in future.

DR.BISWAJIT DASH

Follow up: Dr. Biswajit Dash 17 hours later
Thanks so much doctor.... I am very much satisfied with your response.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year...
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 23 hours later
You are welcome.

Wishing a happy and prosperous new year to you too...

I hope all your queries are answered. If yes, please close this discussion. I would also appreciate your feedbacks about this service.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad