Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Severe hairfall, had IVF. Whats the cause for hair loss?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
My age is 32 and since 3 weeks I am having severe hair fall daily and I think 60 % of my hair is gone
I have not done any change in weight but had my ivf in march ..plz help me
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Hair fall at such a fast pace might be telogen effluvium , which occurs after a gap of 2-3 months of any stressful event like typhoid, pregnancy etc.
Alopecia totalis is another condition where hair fall in large patches can occur very fast.
I would be in a better position to answer your query if you could please send in a couple of photographs, the medications that you have been receiving (if any) apart from those for IVF and if you have suffered from any condition in the past 4-5 months.


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Severe hairfall, had IVF. Whats the cause for hair loss? 5 hours later
I have not been Ill or taking any medications but I have been to Pune and since then
I am having hair fall ie only while combing the hair is coming out from root and ther are no patches on head...plz let me know what to do as I have very long hair and thick which became thin
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Any sort of hair fall should be first investigated properly and then only a treatment would be effective I encourage you to visit your dermatologist and discuss to find the true cause. Treatment options include topical minoxdil, oral biotin, calcium pentothenate, enzyme XXXXXXX solutions, etc.

From where I see, hair fall only while combing with no patches seems normal. A diet XXXXXXX in protein goes a long way in giving hair strength and volume. Nevertheless, I would request you to please visit a qualified dermatologist and start any of the aforementioned treatment if needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other queries.


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor