Severe cramp in lower leg and ankle. Feeling difficult to walk. Looking for cure

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have bloated lower legs and ankles for over three weeks with pain like severe cramp in back of leg and down into ankle making it difficult to walk not the first time but by far the worst
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing your query.

Your current complaints can be caused by a large number of causes like issues with the kidney, heart, infection, drugs, electrolyte disorders etc. It will be helpful if you please mention the name of medicines you are taking for blood pressure because some compounds like Amlodipine used as anti-hypertensive can cause swelling in ankles if taken for long time. Also, I would like to know if any blood tests have been done for you. If not, I would like the following tests to be done
1. Kidney Function Test
2. Hemoglobin
3. Serum Protein
4. Serum Uric Acid
5. Serum electrolytes

You should give rest to your legs and keep them slightly elevated while sitting or lying down. Hot fomentation with lukewarm saline water will also help in decreasing the pain and swelling.

If the pain is severe, you can take a pain killer like Tablet Motrin one tablet twice a day after meals along with antacid Omeprazole 20 mg once a day.

If the problem persists, please see your physician/
I hope this is helpful to you.

Regards. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli