Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Severe chest pain. Prescribed with creon for pancreas inflammation. Could my doctor be wrong?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have a severe pain in the middle of my chest. My doctor said it is the pancreas I'm feeling and he gave me Creon for the pain which isn't working. I thought the pancreas was below the rib cage on the left side. Could he be wrong?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, he can be wrong.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Well, yes, he can be wrong. Especially if he hasnt ruled out other diseases.
For pancreas inflammation the pain is usually in the upper middle abdomen and radiates to the back. Diarrhea and weight loss is quite characteristic.
Middle chest pain can be caused by stomach issues or by heart problems.
If the pain appears after a meal, nausea is present, it is associated with stomach diseases like peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or Helicobacter Pylori infection.
If the pain radiates to the left arm or jaw, appears after physical activity, heart seems more probable.

I suggest you to have some tests done:
- blood work, liver tests, pancreas tests (amylase, lipase, urine amylase) and abdominal CT (this test is necessary to diagnose pancreas diseases)
- if this tests will be negative or peptic ulcer seems most probable, gastroscopy should be done
- heart condition should be checked with ECG

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor