Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Severe anal itching and rashes on buttocks. Suggest medication

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6185 Questions
Oh my! Yes, I am having severe anal itching last year my doctor had said it was a yeast infection. He prescribed a cream , howeve that did not work. Is there something over the counter? It has also caused a severe rash on both sides of my buttocks, this has been very embarrassing for me as I am a 52 year old married woman.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
OTC creams, no OTC tablets

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the this fungal infection that sees to have spread to cover both sides of your buttocks. I understand how embarrassing this is and more so because it itches and may get you scratching in the public. Let us try to examine this rash together and figure out a long lasting solution to this.

If for real this is a fungal infection, then antifungals should be able to help resolve this problem. Treatment besides prescribing antifungals should involve washing and disinfecting the dresses especially the under wears.

a cream could have been sufficient with a well localised infection but the extend of this most probably requires a systemic drug. The duration of treatment should be well adjusted to match the severity and duration of this rash. Unfortunately, tablet forms of antifungals are not sold over the counter. This will require that you get consulted by a doctor who would do a complete clinical exam and confirm the initiial diagnosis before prescribing the drugs. This will also be a plus to confirm the diagnosis before treatment. Don't be surprised it could just be a similar lesion and not necessarily a fungal infection.

I hope this helps. To summarise, get consulted for confirmation and possible prescription of oral antifungals as no OTC formulations exist. Your primary healthcare physician would be a good choice to start with. You may want to try some medications like antihistamines(benadryl, zyrtec), calamine lotion, or steroids to get the itches controlled while the infection is being treated.

I hope this helps.I wish you well. Thank you for using our services and feel free to as for clarifications if need be.
I wish you a speedy and complete resolution of symptoms.
Dr. Chobufo, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor