Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

129 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Severe abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed sludge in gallbladder with enlarged spleen. Required treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
Husband presents with severe abdominal pain, high Bilirubin (Total 4.6 High) with icteric specimen. Ultrasound revealed sludge in gallbladder - echogenic material in gallbladder without stone formation; liver is echogenic; spleen enlarged at 16.7 x 5.9 x 5.7. Pancreas was obscured. Upon HIDA scan, no tracer was seen in the gallbladder. We just moved and need to know if we should go to the emergency room.
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
From the findings that you give us and the symptoms your
husband is having , he should be hospitalized and treated for sure.
He has gallbladder disease and if no XXXXXXX was seen in the gallbladder
and if Bilirubim level is high, he has bile duct obstruction from a
small stone that is blocking the duct or the channel that brings bile to the
gallabladder,and hence the problem.
This calls for ER visit, hospitalization, surgery and complete recovery.
He will do fine with laparocopic surgery and should be out the same day
after surgery.
I wish him well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist