Severe abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed sludge in gallbladder with enlarged spleen. Required treatment?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Husband presents with severe abdominal pain, high Bilirubin (Total 4.6 High) with icteric specimen. Ultrasound revealed sludge in gallbladder - echogenic material in gallbladder without stone formation; liver is echogenic; spleen enlarged at 16.7 x 5.9 x 5.7. Pancreas was obscured. Upon HIDA scan, no tracer was seen in the gallbladder. We just moved and need to know if we should go to the emergency room.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
From the findings that you give us and the symptoms your
husband is having , he should be hospitalized and treated for sure.
He has gallbladder disease and if no XXXXXXX was seen in the gallbladder
and if Bilirubim level is high, he has bile duct obstruction from a
small stone that is blocking the duct or the channel that brings bile to the
gallabladder,and hence the problem.
This calls for ER visit, hospitalization, surgery and complete recovery.
He will do fine with laparocopic surgery and should be out the same day
after surgery.
I wish him well.