Severe abdominal pain. Found duodenal erosions. Constipated after taking medicine. Proper cure?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My son, age 30, has had severe abdominal pain for the past two months. They have ruled out appendicitis. He had an endoscopy which showed duodenal erosion. He has been receiving protonix, zofram, and vicodin for this. He is now experiencing pain on both sides of the abdomen, has painful bowel movements, flatulence, and urination. He is now constipated. The pain is causing migraines. And, most recently his urine has turned orange. His doctor seems to be downplaying the symptoms but this is causing him significant life disturbance as he has been unable to work for the last two months.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 31 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
If your son had an endoscopic dignosis of duodenal ulcer,
he needs treatment that is effective. I am not sure what
dosage of Protonix he is on. He needs to be on 40 mg. once
or twice a day depending on the symptoms. Zofran is to control
nausea and vomiting. Make sure he is taking the drug Protonix
at least one to one half hour before his main meals. I also hope
he is not a smoker. He should restrict caffeine intake, citrus drinks,
and tomato based products and definitely alcohol.
If they did a biopsy to rule out H.Pylori or if they did a breath test
to rule this out, he should be treated for it if positive.
Vicodin is the cause of constipation.
Some headache may be the side effect of Protonix ,but will get
better with continued use. He can take something like Tylenol
for headache. Change in the color of urine does not mean much.
It is the product of breakdown of drugs.
He should avoid fatty and greasy foods as well.
I wish him well.