Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Several discs in lower back out of place. Constant pain. Physical therapy didn't help. Will percocet help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 102 Questions
I have several disc's in my lower back out of place. I have MRI's showing lower #2 and #3 disc degenerative. I am in constant pain, sometimes severe. I work a physical job in an automotive assembly plant and have been there 16+ years. I am 41 years old. I did physical therapy for many weeks and did not help at all. Can you help me with the pain? I can't miss work to have surgury. Maybe I can have surgury late in the year but for now I need help... I was hoping to be prescribed percocet 10mg or higher. It seems to help with pain on my bad days. and Lortab 7.5 or ultram for my good days. Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem with me.

You certainly have back pain due to degenerated discs which is one of the baffling cases to manage. If you are not ready for surgery, you can opt for an injection called epidural injections given by surgeons or pain physicians for temporary relief.

But having said that you should get a standing x-ray (in forward and backward bending positions) to rule out any instability of your back bones.

Please continue your oral medications meanwhile.     

Hope that I have been of help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor