Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Sensitive skin with ingrown hair and zits that get red. On cortisone cream. Go to a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi, I'm terrified of going to the doctor but I feel as though I should. I got a brazilian wax about a month ago and I want to go back, but I'm too embarrassed. I have really
Sensitive skin and I have some ingrown hairs but also got this cyst type zit on my mons. I have been squeezing it and tweezing and made it
More red. I put some cortisone cream on it with a sterile dressing. Should I go to the doctor?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you are having folliculitis in the mons pubis which occurs due to infection of the hair follicles giving rise to redness, swelling and sometimes pus formation.
The treatment for minor cases is local (topical) antibiotic ointments like mupirocin or fusidic acid. Steroids like cortisone do suppress minor inflammatory lesions but they may worsen the condition if it is due to bacterial infection.Hence please do not self medicate and consult a female physician if you are feeling very hesitant. Although remember that doctors always treat their female patients with utmost respect and confidentiality as per the ethics of the profession.
As of now the situation is not very worrisome and likely to resolve soon or within a week with proper and early treatment.
Please do not squeeze the lesion as it may worsen it.Just clean it regularly and apply antibiotics as prescribed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Sensitive skin with ingrown hair and zits that get red. On cortisone cream. Go to a doctor? 51 minutes later
Thank you so much! I will definitely go to
The doctor Monday. What should I do in the meantime?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
I appreciate your decision and hope you will soon see positive results.
Meanwhile you should ,
1.clean the area with betadene or any antiseptic solution twice daily.
2.Keep a thin gauze dressing after application of any antiseptic or antibiotic ointment if feasible, avoid occlusive dressing of the lesion.
3 Avoid scratching, squeezing, the lesions & wear loose cotton undergarments.
4.If pus formation is seen and is painful, local application of heat with warm soaks may help.
Hope this answers your query.Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor