Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Sensation and blinking of patch on face below eyes. How to cure it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 384 Questions
Dear Doctor,
from last 24 hours I am facing sensation/blinking of patch of skin on my face below eyes after every interval of 10-15 sec. Kindly suggest what needs to be done in my case.

Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in health care magic.

The blinking/twitching of skin below the eye/eyelid is called blepharospasm.

It is usually common in people who are in contact with any allergen to eye,resulting constant blinking.
The other reasons are dry cornea(part of eye),stress,caffeine.
Most of the times, it goes off naturally without any treatment.
Good sleep would get you out of the symptoms, since in sleep no blepharospasm happens, and also relaxes the muscle responsible for twitching.

Using tear drops helps in case of dry eye twice daily during morning and in night, before sleep.
In case of prolonged and constant twicthing preventing you from routine activities, the injection of BOTULINUM TOXIN(BOTOX)helps to relieve out of symptoms. but, that needs to be decided only after a proper examination by an ophthalmologist.

If your symptoms are still worsening, visit your treating physician, examined and get treated accordingly.

Let me know if you have further questions, take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor