Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Semen culture showedmoderate growth of enterococcus faecalis. What does this mean?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9528 Questions
I have "enterococcus faecalis moderate growth" in semen culture. What does it mean? Please suggest, what type of problem I have in my semen and what is the remedy
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
Based on the information, it appears that you have infection due to bacteria (Enterococcus Faecalis ) of the either Seminal Vesicle or Prostate..
Take antibiotics as per sensitivity report. You would need to take Ampicillin for 10 days. .Consult your family Physician for a prescription of the drug.There is nothing to worry about. It will get cured after taking the antibiotic.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Semen culture showedmoderate growth of enterococcus faecalis. What does this mean? 9 hours later
Thanks for your kind reply. I have two more doubts

1.     I have pus cells (1-2/hpf) in my semen report. In addition, I have the urge for frequent urination. Do I need treatment for that also?
2.     We are trying for baby. The Gynecologist has suggested this semen test. We will XXXXXXX Gynecologist with the report. What about my semen quality for fathering? Does any improvement / treatment is required?

If you kindly answer the above two points, I shall be thankful to you.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 47 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.
Presence of 1-2 pus cells in semen and urge for urination are suggestive of Prostatitis .It will get cured after taking antibiotic.

Your both in quality and morphology. So there are good chances of you fathering a child.

Thanks with regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor