Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Semen analysis showed positive klebsiella pneumoniae. Should I take tetracycline or ciprofloxacin?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
hi, I have a positive klebsiella pneumoniae cultured from semen, how and why could I contract this bug, and it is also esbl positive, should i take a tetracycline? i have been prescribed ciprofloxacin but i see the bug is resistant, please help. thanks
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Klebsiella pneumoniae is the second most common cause of chronic lung disease and with excess alcohol consumption.

If you have any symptoms or signs of urinary tract infection, urinary tract may infact be infected with the organism and it needs to be treated.

Sometimes the organism may be grown in culture if urine or semen sample is contaminated with the organism while taking or handling the sample as the organism grows in hospital settings. If you are asymtomatic, then perhaps this could be the reason.

Therefore I advise you not to take self medication without a doctor. A doctor needs to evaluate your current symptoms and signs while co-relating the reports to advise you the appropriate antibiotic. Using inappropriate and inadequate dosing may lead to antibiotic resistance. And you told it is ESBL positive. Culture - sensitivity report can help your treating doctor to prescribe the specific antibiotic

So consult your Physician, he will correlate your clinical symptoms with the culture report and advise you the appropriate antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor