Semen analysis done. What does it indicate? Is there any complication?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I am wondering what my husband semen analysis means? And what will it mean terms of achieving pregnancy? what count be his possible problem or obstacles? Is this semen analysis correctable? His morphology is 20; WBC count semen is Abnormal; Semen volume is 3.0ml, Sperm Count says: rare sperm/hpf (no number given); Immotile % is 99 - with a comment that says Decreased motility may be due to either non-viable sperm or non-motile sperm; Sperm 1+, 2+, 3+, 4+ is 0.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 51 minutes later

Report of Semen analysis of your husband that you have posted indicates almost what is called as Azospermia (Absence of sperms). This could be due to following reasons.

1) There may be no spermatogenesis at all, meaning no production of sperms by the seminiferous tubules of the Testis.
2) There may be production of sperm but the passage of the sperm from Testis to Ejaculatory duct may be blocked.

You may have to first get Testicular Biopsy done to confirm that there is spermatogenesis (Sperms are produced.) If the result is negative, there is nothing much can be done.

If spermatogenesis is there then you have to consult some Urologist to find out the level of blockage and potency of vase by doing some ideological test called a Vasogram.

All further management outcomes and depends upon the diagnosis. Please consult a skilled Urologist for proper evaluation and assessment.

Please feel free to ask if any more questions. I shall be pleased to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr. Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E