Semen analysis done. Sowed 88% motility. Am i fertile?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi I have had a semen analysis done, the abnormal % was 94% the guide was to be under 96% , so I only just made it, does that affect my chances of getting my partner pregnant?.
My other results were as follows- volume ml 2.6. Viscosity - normal, density million/ml was 64.
Motility 88%, progression 2-3 , guide is 4 means good??. Anti sperm antibodies positive 21% guide says should be negative but under 30% is not significant . Debris was no. Agglutination was 0. Comments said all parameters within normal range . MAR test positive , but not clinically significant. Help am I quite fertile? . Is anything a concern? Thank u hope you can advise .
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, the accepted normal % of sperm is 04%. So, as per this report, it does not affect your chances of getting your partner pregnant.

Regarding the other tests, volume, viscosity, all are normal. Sperm count is within normal limit. Motility of the sperm is also within normal limit. It is good. Other reports are also within normal limit.

Look, in case of fertility, sperm count, motility and morphology are the three main points. As per your report , they are quite satisfactory. So, do not worry, you are totally fertile.

Consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 46 minutes later
Thank you so much, we will keep trying then.
Just one more question , re the abnormals % being 94%. Is this a issue or concern?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Previously, it was thought that the normal sperm should be minimum 75%. But in 2009 WHO declares that 04% normal sperm is enough for normal pregnancy. It is thought so because, in your case, normal sperm is near about 10 millions per ejaculation. So, the number of normal sperm is very good when calculated for total semen volume per ejaculate. This is the logic.

So, do not worry at all. It is not a matter of concern. Just keep trying.

Best of luck.

Hope you have your answers. Then you can close this discussion. Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Regards.