Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Scleroderma,joint swelling,body pain,affected liver

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
Hi Doctor,
My wife is suffering from symptoms of scleroderma such as
Raynauds phenomenon, swelling of joints, body pain,
problem with assimilation of food and that disease affected the liver also.
Currently she is taking medications from a physician in chennai.
But she became so lean and very weak.
Is it possible to cure the disease completely?
Can u show me some good specialists, so that i can consult with them,
Please need your help.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Scleroderma is a disorder in which we talk in terms of improvement and not the cure.

This is an immune based disorder associated with multiple superadded problems. The best way to have relief is by medications for symptomatic relief.

According to the symptoms, the drugs are prescribed to improve the quality of life of the patient.

There is no effective way to limit the disease progression except for gene therapy which is still under trials.

To find a good Physician nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
OR One of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good doctor. You can contact on YYYY@YYYY .

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Scleroderma,joint swelling,body pain,affected liver 2 hours later
Thanks for your answer..
My wife is taking medications since 6 months. Swelling and joint pain body pain is completely reduced. But lots of tablets side effects are there. She became so lean n very weak. Her face became so dark.Is there any remedy for this side effects? And any alternative medicine will be useful like homeopathy or ayurveda? Or any food items or fruits can reduce the effect of disease?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Immune related disorders are not much affected by change in dietary habits but a healthy food with a good night's sleep will definitely help in improving her overall health.
Whatever drugs she will take for symptomatic relief will show side effects. Some drugs have comparatively milder side effects. You can discuss about the available options from her treating doctor.
Some of her symptoms can be relieved by ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines also for which you will have to XXXXXXX relative specialists.
Wishing your wife an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Scleroderma,joint swelling,body pain,affected liver 11 hours later
Thanks again.
To suppress the scleroderm is it necessary to take tablets life long?
Will it lead any problem in pregnancy. Since the liver is affected im worrying much abt it. I will also think for alternative medicines n consult with specialists. Any where in the world can i find mild cure for tis disease ?
Thanks again.. Thanks for the help
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Still research is not complete on this kind autoimmune disease. It need robust trials from causes to treatment. Medicines are necessary as long as the symptoms persist and only directed against the symptoms. There are periods of remissions intermittently. It is not likely to affect the pregnancy but the pregnancy needs to be monitored closely.

You can try some immune boosters to increase the periods of remission.

Rheumatologist or Immunologist are better experts to give you recent advances on this topic. I am still unsure about the scientific underpinnings of alternative medications in this area.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor