Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Schizophrenia, heavy medication, weight gain. Economic solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12798 Questions
Hi, my sister is suffering with schizophrenia and is under psychatric treatment since last 7-8years. She is now under control. However, due to medication, she has gained lot of weight (Approx.-80-90kgs). She is 28Years old & her height is about 5ft 5inches. She is staying at Patna with parents. Due to her heavy body, she is facing severe problem in her daily life & is unable get married. Please help me how can she reduce her weight to a normal person? Is there any suitable treatment centre in & around Patna. What would be approx. cost for her treatment. Where can we get best solution in economical price?
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for your query.
It is really nice that your sister wants to lose some weight. But before I suggest you anything I need to know a few things about your sister-
1. Her height and weight to calculate BMI.
2. What kind of a diet does she prefer- Veg or non-veg.
3. What kind of daily schedule does she follow?- time spent sitting, sleeping, in mild daily activities and in heavy work.
4. How much time is she spending in exercise per week?
5. In how much time does she want to reduce and how many kilos?
Anticipating your response
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Schizophrenia, heavy medication, weight gain. Economic solution? 18 hours later
Dear Madam,
     Thank you very much for taking interest in my query. As desired, necessary information regarding my sister are as under:
1.     Her current weight is approximate 85 Kgs. and her height is 5 ft 3 inches.
2.     Though she likes non-veg. food but as per doctor’s advice (under which her schizophrenia treatment is going) she has been avoided to have non-veg. food, so we do not give her non-veg. food and she takes only Veg. foods. However, as per doctor due to her medication she feels hungrier and has more food than a normal person.
3.     Since she is still under psychiatric medical treatment and is taking various medicines which make her more time spent on bed either resting or sleeping. But she does her daily routine work and also helps to her mother in kitchen work.
4.     She does not do any exercise. We have tried but are unable to convince her to go for either yoga or exercise.
5.     As aforesaid, due to her medication, she always feels hungry & has more food than normal. Also, as per the psychiatric doctor, her medicine may continue for long period. Since we are looking for her marriage, so we would prefer to go for such treatment through which she can lose weight soon.

Thanks & hope for a good solution for my sister please. We will be happy if we could get some treatment in & around Patna or otherwise you may please advise for good place / hospital where we can get better treatment.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your sister is getting anti psychotic drugs which have a side effect of excessive tendency to have food and sleep.
Losing weight does need patience and persistence so as to maintain the weight that you achieve after diet control and exercise.
We have experienced dietitians who can design Personalized Weight Management
Program with Diet Plan and Exercise. You can take their help at this link:

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Schizophrenia, heavy medication, weight gain. Economic solution? 13 hours later
Dear Madam,
Good Morning, Thanks for quick reply.
As I told earlier, the diet plan & exercise may not be implemented on my sister because of her psychiatric problem. Therefore, I would like get some alternate solution like any type of surgical treatment or so. Please help me out that how & to whom should I contact to solve the problem weight loss as well as obesity? Is there any doctor available in your group who can help me to solve the problem? Please do something to solve the problem as we are unable to find any proper solution till now.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If you insist on having a surgical solution for your sister's problem of weight gain then she will have to undergo procedures like 'liposuction' and 'partial gastrectomy'.

A good and experienced plastic surgeon will be an ideal specialist to perform the above procedure.

I do not have any personal references of plastic surgeons around Patna. You may use the services of XXXXXXX in finding a good one by

1. There are patient written reviews for doctors in our listings, They will guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at-

2. One of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good
doctor. (Please send mail to CRM team, YYYY@YYYY )

Hope you find my answer informative and useful.

Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor