Scheduled for hysterectomy. Had an ovary removed due to cysts. Will I have periods after the surgery?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am scheduled for a hysterectomy Dec 10th, I am a little nervous, I had an ovary removed in 2008 due to cysts and it was the evasive surgery cut across bottom of stomach! slow recovery, I am having my hysterectomy using the divinci procedure and my doc wants to leave in my left ovary for hormones i am only 35. my question is will I still have my peroid, and should I leave in my ovary I dont want to go through this again, and how evasive is this new technique
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: No more periods, minimally invasive procedure Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Da vinci surgery is a newer technique in surgery, here smaller cuts and incisions are made compared to traditional procedures because the surgeons have special instruments which give them more flexibility. It is a wonderful technique and it is the best way to undergo hystrectomy Hystrectomy means removal of the uterus and uterus is required for a woman to have her periods. Since they are removing your uterus you will not be having periods anymore. Please discuss this with your doctor before you undergo this procedure I feel leaving the ovary is a good option too. You will have lesser hormonal imbalances if your ovaries are still present I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. Regards