Scan showed think endometrium and cyst in ovary. What does this mean?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have recently had an ultrasound and have been told my endometrium is 16mm and my right ovary is prominant having volume of 58cc and showing a 3.6 x3.1 x3.4 cm benign appearing cyst Can you explain it to me please?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 41 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First with regard to the endometrium - this is the part of the uterus that grows and sheds each month. At its thickest, towards the end of your cycle just before your period, the upper end of normal is about 14mm. 16mm MIGHT be considered thickened depending on the reasons for the scan. If the scan was for abnormal bleeding, then the finding is significant. If the scan was done for other reasons, then it is probably a normal finding.

With regard to the ovarian cyst, a 3.6cm cyst that appears benign is not that significant. If the scan was done for pain related reasons, then this might explain the pain. The usual plan is to followup this scan in about 8-12 weeks.

If there are more details you can provide it might be helpful. Otherwise, I hope this answers your questions!