Scan showed thickened endometrium with cystic changes. What does this mean?

Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: My wife just got Ultrasonography of the pelvis performed as she experienced bleeding post menopause. The reports mentions "thickened endometrium with cystic changes - ? cystic endometrial hyperplasia / endometrial carcinoma cannot be ruled out".... what does this imply and what next steps do we need to take - it is serious?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 14 hours later

This shows that there is some problem which is causing post menopausal bleeding and it could be concerning.

She should undergo D,D & C (diagnostic dilatation and curettage) then we can know what problem she has (endometrial hyperplasia/endometrial cancer, etc.) by pathological examination of the curetted material. D, D & C will throw much more light to understand her condition better and plan the right treatment.

Please consult a gynecologist at the earliest and plan the procedure under his/her guidance.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you with any other concerns.

Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor for your response. What are the chances of this leading to any carcinoma stage and what are the symptoms we have to be looking for.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 3 hours later
The chances of this being cancer is about 50% at this age.
The symptoms are post menopausal bleeding etc.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli