Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Scan showed bulky uterus. Missing periods. What does this mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
I have just had a scan that says my uterus is bulky and retroflexed with a central endometrial echo measuring 15mm. What does this mean? I have pcos and I'm not pregnant, LNMP 21.05.2012. Have regular 29-33 day cycle, this is the first time in approx 3 yrs I have missed a period.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A bulky retroverted uterus is a normal finding. Since you are not pregnant and your periods are overdue, mild hypertrophy of the endometrium is expected. This will normalize after you have your periods.
The delay in your periods is likely to be due to hormonal disturbance. You can consult your gynecologist who will prescribe you progesterone tablets for a withdrawal bleeding to occur after ruling out the pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor