Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Scan report showing small calculus in lower calyx in left kidney. Any risk? Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Hi doctor,
My wife's scan report says "small calculus measuring -5mm seen in lower calyx" in left kidney.

Also in right kidney "prominent pelvicalyceal system and upper ureter seen".

Please suggest the risk involved and the treatment.

Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No surgical intervention required

Detailed Answer:
Greetings of the day
Welcome to healthcare-Magic

5 mm calculi is small and can easily pass off the ureter, no surgical intervention is required. It has to be flushed out of calyx by consuming lot of water which increases urine output and flushes it out. Her water intake should be atleast 2.5liter per day. Apart from water intake i would advise some diet modifiction like consuming food low in oxalate, avoid tomatoes and spinach.

Prominence of Pelvicalyceal system on right side could have been to previously present calculi which was causing intermittent blockage and has lead to dilatation. The stone could have passed down the ureter and is no longer seen in the scan.
I would also suggest you to get done certain Biochemical investigation which could be causing the stones and may lead to recurrence. Kindly get Serum Calcium and Phosphate level, and serum Parathyroid level done. Hypercalcemia may lead on to recurrent stone.
Get a repeat scan done after a month to know about resolution of dilatation on right side and passing off of stone on left side.

Consumption of plenty of water and diet modfiication form the mainstay of treatment.
Do consult a Urologist with follow up Scan report.

I hope it helped.
Wishing you a healthy life.
Take Care

Dr Deepak K K
Consultant Pediatric Urologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor