Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Scalp has been tender, feels like sunburn and keep covered. Noticed dent on crown and have hair loss. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hi my scalp has been very tender for the last couple of week. It feels like sunburn but I keep covered up. I have noticed today that there seems to be a dent on the crown of my head and I have some hair loss. I did get my hair highlighted about 4 weeks ago - I dont know if that would affect it
Just wondering if there is any feedback - thanks
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible reaction to chemicals used

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome. My apologies for the delay.

Based on the provided history, from my experience I have come across a number of cases wherein patients report to me with allergic reactions after the use of various chemicals on their scalp (eg. hair XXXXXXX new conditioner, new shampoo, hair gel, etc.).

Please do not worry about this. The scalp is very sensitive, and usually when strong chemicals come in contact with it, the sensitive skin gets irritated and reacts. This could result in itching, dry skin (flaking), redness, pain, local increase in temperature, hair loss in the affected area, etc.

I would first advise you not to cover your head, as this can result in damp and moist surroundings which would promote the growth of bacteria and could result in an infection. Wash your head regularly with clear room temperature, running water. Also, you would have to visit a doctor (skin specialist: dermatologist), who would supervise your recovery to avoid any damage to hair follicles in the region.

I wish you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor