Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Scalp dandruff, itchiness, hair loss, chronic condition. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
Hi, It would b helpful if u provide me the solution for my hair loss. I have hair loss for nearly 5 years.I have little dandrauf too in top of the head, please note that dandrauf is not present all over the head, there is little itchying too.Please suggest me a solution. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 9 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I would take up the second problem first. Your problem of localised dandruff could amount to seborrhoeic dermatitis. this condition itself will produce hair loss. all you have to do is
1. Wash your scalp and hair with ketaconazole shampoo for example Arcxolane which is an international brand. this shoud be applied on the scalp and rinsed after five minutes.
2. Continue this once a week even if you are better as dadruff or localized flakes on the scalp is due to a combination of fungus, dust and oil
3. Reduce oil application on scalp and if needed apply and wash in half an hour
4. Take oral biotin tabs 5 mg per day
5. In addition, if you have male pattern baldness you may have to use minoxidil 5%, twenty drops twice a day.

Remember that all these treatments are only temporary and you may have to use them till you want a good hair and free of scaling of scalp.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor