Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Salt in Chinese food, tachycardia, pulse rate 150, BP under control

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Can salt cause tachycardia. I ate Chinese food on night and had Indian food the next. And I had a super attack of tachycardia.

I have another question. When should I consider going to the hospital. I had a pulse rate of 150 for about an hour before it finally went down to 90 and that lasted for 30 minutes, finally getting to something like normal. My normal pulse rate is 63 and I take a lot of meds to keep my blood pressure close to normal,
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later

There are many things which can contribute to a tachycardia. It is conceivable that some foods that are particularly high in sodium content may trigger a tachycardia. What these foods do essentially is to cause your body to hold on to excess amounts of water. This makes your heart have to work harder in order to pump the fluid and blood through your body. I am quite concerned however that your pulse reached 150. This is certainly abnormal and can possibly predispose you to develop an abnormal heart rhythm.

I would highly encourage you to discuss this recent episode with your magnesium or potassium in your body. Certain blood pressure medications can also have an influence. I think you should contact your primary care physician for an examination as well as EKG and a consideration to see whether you need any further studies to evaluate your heart.

I hope I have answered your concern adequately. I am available for follow-up questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor