Safety of binaural beat technology? Are they safe to use?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Doctor,
Can you please advise me about the safety of binaural beat technology like holosync? Firstly are they safe to use? Secondly could it be beneficial? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for asking this question.

First of all, let me tell you that binaural beat technology is still considered an experimental intervention.

Binaural beat technology (BBT) involves providing different frequency stimuli to each ear, which leads to brain waves being produced in the brainstem and cerebral cortex.

We can consider this as an extension to music therapy, which has been in use for a number of years.

BBT has been shown to reduce anxiety in several experimental studies in human beings. It may also improve attention, concentration and productivity of the brain.

BBT is safe, and there are no adverse effects reported.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 hours later
So it just changes brainwaves for the duration of the playing of the binaural beats, and when the playing stops, the brainwaves return to normal?

So it definitely will not cause any harm to the brain or the brain cells and should be?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, your interpretation is correct. It is absolutely safe.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)