Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Runny diarrhea,dehydration.Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have runny diarea
Can you prescribe something
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Runny diarrhea means acute and severe diarrhea. Severe diarrhea means that a lot of fluid is being lost. With severe diarrhea, stools are very runny, frequent (as often as hourly), and often accompanied by stomach cramps. It can be caused by infections, traveller’s diarrhea, intestinal diseases and food intolerances.

For now, drink plenty of water to maintain the hydration levels or take Electral or Gatorade solution. Chicken broth, tea, ginger ale, Popsicles, XXXXXXX cranberry, or grape juice can be taken. The BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be taken. Apricot or peach nectar, bananas, and mashed or baked potatoes are all high in potassium. With diarrhea, potassium is lost and it is important to replace it.

Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, beans, raw vegetables, raw fruits, broccoli, corn, cabbage, cauliflower and alcohol until recovery is complete.

Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms but should be taken under medical supervision.

If you have had the diarrhea after a recent travel (like in traveller’s diarrhea) then you may need a course of antibiotics for which you have to consult your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor