Runners are notorious for their deformed toes. Apart form wearing

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Runners are notorious for their deformed toes. Apart form wearing proper running shoes is their anything else to do to protect your toes if you run.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Using toe pads and regular cleaning will help.

Detailed Answer:
In runners due to constant wearing of shoes and stress on the toes it is common to have nail infections, stress fractures and deformity of toes due to poor posture.
To avoid such problems the first thing that is needed is properly fit shoes with at least a thumb's width space between the great toe and tip of the shoe to protect it from compression or injuries.
Regular cleaning and moisturization is needed to protect against any skin infections. Regular pedicures help in maintaining a good health of the feet. Always cut the toenails straight and short, do not pull off the nails and keep them clean. In case of any injury consider immediate proper treatment.
You can also use silicone toe pads to protect the toes from injuries.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj