Routine urinalysis done. What does the report suggest?

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Posted on Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello, I had a urinalysis, routine done as well as cbc, chem profile, sed rate and a few other labs. The urinalysis came back with trace ketone, moderate blood rbc ur micro 11-15 and trace mucus. I am concerned and was wondering what this could mean. I had trace microscopic hematuria in the past, but it would resolve and was never more than 3-5 hpf. Any help would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

Did you mean 11-15 pus cells or WBC ? If yes, it points to a urinary tract infection.

I think it would be better if you could scan and attach your urine examination report.

I would also like to know the following:

1. Any history of high grade fever with chills, lower abdominal pain/back pain, increased frequency of urination, burning urination, nausea or vomiting ?
2. What was the indication for getting a urine examination? Was it routine or did you have any symptoms for which the doctor advised you to get the test done?
3. Were you having your periods when you collected your urine for the test ?
4. Any history of loin to groin radiating pain ?
5. Any past history/family history of calculi (kidney stones) etc?

Kindly get back to me with the scanned report and additional details.

Awaiting your reply,

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan