Round, rough, raised area of dry cracked skin near elbow. What could be the disease?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Near my elbow, I have a round, rough, raised area of dry cracked skin. I think there had been a scrape or picked off scab or something that I irritated there before. But, it was nothing like what has grown there now.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be impetigo,irritant dermatitis, scab formation,granuloma etc.
Also I would like to know-
Is there any discharge from the lesions?
Is there any pain/itching over the area?
Since when you have this?
Is any other area of skin involved?
Do you have gout?are you on allopurinol?
Have you applied any topicals over the area?
Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 28 minutes later
Thank you for your response, doctor.

I am taking Allopurinol.

There is no discharge. There is occasional itching. No pain. Some tenderness on contact. There is a much smaller, but similar area just a few inches from this one (which made me think that it was maybe a bacterial or fungal infection). I have had them for about 4 weeks. I think they were fully formed after about 1 week and now have remained the same for some time.

I have not applied any topical treatment because I was not sure whether it needed hydrocordizone, some sort of anti fungal or something else.

Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for the image.
The condition appears to be a bacterial infection with granuloma formation.
You can apply hydrocortisone 1%cream one time and fusidic acid cream /mupirocin oint once a day .The condition should resolve within 7-10 days.Also oral antibiotic like amoxycillin for 7 days will be needed.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan