Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Round painful lump on outer end of eyebrow. Could it be a fungus or sinus related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12673 Questions
I have a round non-painful firm lump on my temple, to the right of the end of my eyebrow. It's been there for about 9 months, but small. The last 3 months, it's grown bigger, about 3 1/2 cm across. I am wondering if it could be fungus. Or what else it might be.I should add that my hair is falling out and it could be fungus.I did not say it was an eye disorder. Your database overruled my choice (general medicine). Could it be sinus related?
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The small bump on the outer end of your eyebrow could be -
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. An infected follicle or a local infection like fungus.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is an infection then application of warm compresses will help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Round painful lump on outer end of eyebrow. Could it be a fungus or sinus related? 53 minutes later
Dr Tayal, thank you. What kind of doctor should I see about this? I have an appointment with a dermatologist for next month but others have told me I should see a plastic surgeon. I am not keen on surgery at this point.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can consult your GP first to get it examined. He can then refer you to a surgeon if he feels necessary. The dermatologist can also help you by coming to a probable diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor