Round painful lump on outer end of eyebrow. Could it be a fungus or sinus related?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a round non-painful firm lump on my temple, to the right of the end of my eyebrow. It's been there for about 9 months, but small. The last 3 months, it's grown bigger, about 3 1/2 cm across. I am wondering if it could be fungus. Or what else it might be.I should add that my hair is falling out and it could be fungus.I did not say it was an eye disorder. Your database overruled my choice (general medicine). Could it be sinus related?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The small bump on the outer end of your eyebrow could be -
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. An infected follicle or a local infection like fungus.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is an infection then application of warm compresses will help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
Dr Tayal, thank you. What kind of doctor should I see about this? I have an appointment with a dermatologist for next month but others have told me I should see a plastic surgeon. I am not keen on surgery at this point.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can consult your GP first to get it examined. He can then refer you to a surgeon if he feels necessary. The dermatologist can also help you by coming to a probable diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.